Create Your Own God or Goddess
Objective: To learn about Greek mythology, and create a god or goddess of your own.
The Greeks had numerous gods and many stories and myths that surrounded them. Greek mythology consists of all the stories and tales about the Greek gods, goddesses, and heroes. Below are some of the major Greek gods.
The Titans were the first or elder gods. There were twelve of them including the parents of Zeus, Cronus, and Rhea. They ruled during what was called the golden age. They were overthrown by their children, led by Zeus.
The twelve Olympian gods were the major gods of the Greeks and lived on Mount Olympus. They included:
- Zeus – Leader of the Olympians and god of the sky and lightning. His symbol is the lightning bolt. He is married to Hera.
- Hera – Queen of the gods and married to Zeus. She is the goddess of marriage and family. Her symbols are the peacock, pomegranate, lion, and cow.
- Poseidon – God of the ocean, earthquakes, and horses. His symbol is the trident. He is Zeus’ and Hades brother.
- Dionysus – Lord of wine and celebrations. Patron god of the theatre and art. His main symbol is the grapevine. He is the son of Zeus and the youngest Olympian.
- Apollo – Greek god of archery, music, light, and prophecy. His symbols include the sun, the bow and arrow, and the lyre. His twin sister is Artemis.
- Artemis – Goddess of the hunt, archery, and animals. Her symbols include the moon, the bow and arrow, and the deer. Her twin brother is Apollo.
- Hermes – God of commerce and thieves. Hermes is also the messenger of the gods. His symbols include winged sandals and the caduceus (which is a staff with two snakes wrapped around it). His son Pan is the god of nature.
- Athena – Greek goddess of wisdom, defense, and war. Her symbols are the owl and the olive branch. She is the patron god of Athens.
- Ares – God of war. His symbols are the spear and shield. He is the son of Zeus and Hera.
- Aphrodite – Goddess of love and beauty. Her symbols include the dove, swan, and rose. She is married to Hephaestus.
- Hephaestus – God of fire. Blacksmith and craftsman for the gods. His symbols include fire, the hammer, the anvil, and the donkey. He is married to Aphrodite.
- Demeter – Goddess of agriculture and the seasons. Her symbols include wheat and the pig.
Click this link to learn more about Greek Gods and Goddesses.
Optional: markers, crayons, or paints
Step 1: Download and print the temple picture if you can that is linked here, If not draw your own temple for your god or goddess to live on a piece of white paper.
Step 2: Create your own god or goddess!
Think of things you would like to include for your god or goddess. In this video, I show you how to draw a goddess.
- Perhaps you want to make them like you?
- What would they rule over?
- Would they have any special powers?
- What symbols would they have?
- Do they have a sacred animal?
Step 3: Draw your god or goddess in their temple with a pencil or marker. Add their symbols if they have them, or their animals, or superpowers!
Step 4: Fill in your drawing with color by using crayons, colored pencils, markers or paint!
Here are some examples of gods and goddesses other students drew:
Step 5: Take a photo of your god or goddess and share it with us by tagging the MAC on social media and using #ArtShareMAC!, or email us your photo to email@example.com and we will share it for you!